SO you all know I’m not a big fan of huge, long, crazy recipes...
But since we’re all in quarantine, what the F. else do we have to do?? Nothing. Absolutely nothing lol.
This recipe is just one you have to try during lockdown. I wouldn't say its "hard'... it just has a few steps. And I'll also show you how to make your own tortilla strips! Don't worry, it's super easy.
This is a 3- part recipe.
A) First, I'm going to show you how to make your own chicken broth using leftover chicken!
Obviously we’re in a time where everyone wants to save money and food while keeping their immunity up, right? #nofoodwaste
B) Then, we'll make tortilla strips (you can skip this if you have some at home)
C) Lastly, we'll put everything together for our chicken tortilla soup!
Now let's get started fam.
2 celery sticks
Leftover chicken with bones (We use leftover rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods or Costco)
Half large onion
Quarter cup apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
9 cups of water
6 cloves minced garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of dried Thyme
Now here’s the deal. You don’t need ALL these ingredients. Use whatever you have in your pantry. Throw in herbs and ingredients YOU like and make this dish your own.
I’m basically giving you the basics, and you can add in flavors and herbs that you have.
1. Bring water up to a boil.
2. Add in all your ingredients.
3. Then bring it down to a simmer for 3 hours.
4. Strain, and pick out chicken meat, carrots and onions. Then add it back to your broth. (you're basically getting rid of all the chicken bones).
This broth can be use for anything. Sometimes I like to put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it for later use.
Now let's work on the tortilla strips! You can flavor them any which way you want (again, use whatever you have in your pantry). I love mine spicy with a hint of lime. You can top these off on your salads, soups or eat them as a snack!
Franks hot sauce or any type of hot sauce
1tsp chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut tortillas into desired size.
4. Add to a large bowl and lightly coat with olive oil and seasonings.
5. Transfer to baking sheet, and bake for 7-10 minutes each side. Do this twice, or until desired crispness is reached.
Now for the chicken tortilla soup!!
In the same chicken broth you just made, add:
1 can strained black beans
1 can strained garbonzo beans
1 packet taco seasoning
2 chopped jalapeños
1 can diced tomatoes
Let it simmer for another 10 minutes and serve. Top it off with some cheese, cilantro and the yummy tortilla strips you just made!